|Count from August/23/2004
coLinux with KNOPPIX
[CAUTION] The home pages related to KNOPPIX Japanese Edition, VMKnoppix,
etc moved to http://www.rcis.aist.go.jp/project/knoppix/index-en.html
Please visit the new home page for latest information.
KNOPPIX can boot on "coLinux" which is Linux emulator on Windows200,XP.
New KNOPPIX iso image includes "coLinux" installer. It enables
us to boot KNOPPIX as VirtualPC and VMware.
- PC Windows 2000, XP. Free space of hard disk is more than 340M.
- coLinux: 6MB + Cygwin/X: 330MB.
- More than 256M Memory. Desirable memory size is more than 512M.
- Internet connection. It is required to install "coLinux" and
- Computer Administrator.
- Media which includes the installer
- CD-version iso(knoppix_v3.4_20040517-20040820.iso). This is used as a
normal CD-boot KNOPPIX.
- CAUTION: THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE. IT CHANGES FUNDAMENTAL PARTS OF WINDOWS.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.THE DEVELOPERS CAN NOT BE HELD LIABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
FOR DAMAGE TO HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, LOST DATA, OR OTHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT
DAMAGE RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE.CAN NOT BE HELD LIABLE UNDER
ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR DAMAGE TO HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, LOST DATA, OR OTHER
DIRECT OR INDIRECT DAMAGE RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE..
This installation assumes a CD which is made of knoppix_v3.4_20040517-20040820.iso.
- After logon Windows2000, XP as a administrator, please insert CD-ROM. If
autorun works, you will find the KNOPPIX HP.
- Please open "My Computer" from Start Menu.You will find KNOPPIX CD Drive. "Right Click" the KNOPPIX CD Drive. Menu is opened. Select "Open" at the Menu.
- Please double click "colinux" folder.
- Please double click "clsetup.bat" as a Administrator. "coLinux" and "cygwin/X"
are installed to Windows.
CAUTION: If you want to use English message absolutely, plase set page set CODE PAGE "473".
windows-prompt> chcp 473
Action of "clsetup"
- Install "coLinux"（with TAP-Win32)
- Install "cygwin/X"
- "cygwin/X" is act as a X server for KNOPPIX.
Install "coLinux"（with TAP-Win32）
- Installer ask to install "coLinux" or not. If coLinux isn't installed,
please click "Yes".
- Setup Wizard starts. Please click "Next".
- Licence Agreement. Please read carefully. If you accept the agreement,
click "I Agree".
- Install Components. Root File System is stored in the CD for KNOPPIX. Please
uncheck the box for "Root FileSystem image Download".
- Install Location. The default location is "C:\Program Files\coLinux". After choose a location, please clock "Next".
- Install Network environment for coLinux. WinPCP is installed. Please click
- TAP-Win32 is installed.
- Warning message is popup., during installation of TAP-Win32. If you accept
the agreement, click "Continue Anywhere". After that, please
click "Next" of TAP-Win32 Setup window
- Installation of coLinux is finished. Please click "Finish".
- The installation doesn't include network setup. The setup have to be done
after this installation.
- Installer ask to install "cygwin" or not. If cygwin isn't installed, please click "Yes".
- Setup Wizard starts. Please click "Next".
- Choose installation methods. This CD has no source, please select "Install from Internet" and click "Next".
- Select Install folder. The default is "C:\cygwin". After selection,
please click "Next".
- Select Local Package folder. The default is "C:\Documents and Settings\USER-NAME\cygwin_archive".
After selection, please click "Next".
- Select Internet connection method. After selection, please click "Next".
- Choose a Download site. After selection, please click "Next".
- Select install packages. The required package is"X11". Click the "X11" and change the status to "install". After selection, please click "Next".
- Network installation starts. It takes several minutes.
- After Installation you are asked to create icons. After selection, please click "Next".
- Cygwin Installation is finished. Please click "OK".
- You are asked to open "coLinux" folder.
- All installation is finished. You can run KNOPPIX on coLinux with "knoppix-light-128M.bat"
Network setup for coLinux
To book KNOPPIX, network setup is required.
- Please open "Control Panel" of Windows. Select "Network Connections".
- You will find some "Local Area Connection" icons. The icon which has no number is real hardware network device. Please right click the non-numbered icon. Select "Properties" at the menu.
- Please select "Advanced" tab.
- Please allow "other network users to connect". Please check and
The installation is over. Have fun.
Boot KNOPPIX on coLinux
- Please open folder which installed coLinux. The default is "C:\Program
Files\coLinux". In the folder there is "knoppix-256M.bat"
and "knoppix-light-128M.bat" to boot KNOPPIX on coLinux.
・knoppix-256M coLinux keeps 256M memory. Desktop manager is "KDE". which is
default of KNOPPIX.
・knoppix-light-128M coLinux keeps 128M memory. Desktop manage is "wmaker" which
is light desktop manager.
- CAUTION) Please close the folder of CD-ROM before coLinux. It causes the access
collision and fail to boot KNOPPIX on coLinux.
- CAUTION: If you want to use English message absolutely, plase set page set CODE PAGE "473".
windows-prompt> chcp 473
windows-prompt> C:\Program Files\colinux\knoppix-256M.bat
- After click of "knoppix-256M" or "knoppix-light-128M", colinux-console, xterm(cygwin), and Xnest start. On colinux-console KNOPPIX boot sequence is showed.
- On Xnest "wmaker" will appear.
- Menu is opened by right click. Applications are selected from this menu.
If you select "Exit" of "WindowManagers", KNOPPIX shutdown.
- On Xnest "KDE" will appear.
- KDE menu is opened by click of bottom-left "K" mark. Applications
are selected from this menu.
If you select "shutdown" of KDE menu, KNOPPIX shutdown.
- Inernet is available.
After shutdown of KNOPPIX
- After shutdown of KNOPPIX, colinux is still running. Please stop coLinux
at File menu of "coLinux-console".
- X server is still running. Please close with X button.
- Delete coLinux
- RUN "C:\Program Files\coLinux\Uninstall".
- It delete files at "C:\Program Files\coLinux\".
- Delete "C:\Program Files\coLinux" folder.
- Delete cygwin
Cygwin has no uninstaller. Please delete following steps.
- Stop Cygwin Processes. If you don't understand, please reboot.
- Please delete "C:\Cygwin" folder.
- Delete Cygwin from Start Menu.
- Delete following folder.
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Cygwin
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Cygwin-X
- Delete Registry.
- Run "regedit" and Delete the following items.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cygnus Solutions
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
Problems and Solutions
- Slow Graphics
- It depend on Desktop Manager and Cygwin/X. Please use light desktop manager
(Ex. wmaker). If you can use another high speed X-server on Windows, please