BTL Catalyst Group
- Catalyst development for synthesis of biomass-derived fuels and chemicals -
Attention has been paid to synthesis of liquid fuels and chemicals from biomass as non-fossil resources. These technologies are important from the view point of energy security and CO2 reduction. However, present applications of biomass are mainly direct combustion for heat generation, whereas synthesis processes for liquid fuels and chemicals are still not commercialized.
Our group is conducting the catalyst development for chemical conversion of biomass. Specifically, the followings subjects are ongoing:
- Fischer-Tropsch synthesis of synthesis gas derived from biomass gasification to form gasoline and diesel fuels
- Ethanol and light olefin syntheses from bio-synthesis gas-Development of non-fermentation process
- Synthesis of bio-oil by direct catalytic pyrolysis of waste biomass
- Bioethanol or bio-oil conversions into propylene using zeolite-based catalysts
Our group is aiming to contribute to the development of key technology for biofuel and chemicals syntheses through the research on catalyst exploration and reaction mechanism.
|Group Leader:||Kazuhisa MURATA|
|Staff:||Isao TAKAHARA, Megumu INABA, Yanyong LIU, Liqun YANG, Masumi TOYODA|
(Click to show larger image)
Images of biofuel and chemicals production from biomass using catalysts.
- BTL Catalyst Group
AIST Tsukuba Central 5, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8565 Japan